Sunday, 15 July 2012


This is my 2nd IKEA hack, I came across 2 BERTBY Cabinets dumped by the bin sheds & was just starting to rain. So I thought I save them as were in good condition, but not for long with the rain.

Unfortunately it had no fixtures or shelves, so had to think up another way to use them.

So I thought for the 1st BERTBY, why not fix to the wall? Just need the mounting brackets like those used to mount FAKTUM wall Cabinets. So I went to my local IKEA & asked for some & they were happy to help. So off I went to start this plan.

First I had to mark out where the brackets go & drill holes carefully so not make a mistake as some holes were of a set depth.  I used 4 brackets due to the length of the unit.

So once brackets are fitted to unit, it was a case of marking holes on wall to fix it to the wall. This was fun to do on my own & recommend 2 people to do this, but I managed w/o incident. lol

Looks OK when hung & despite the low height it doesn't stick out much to bang head on.

Looks pretty cool when filled too, tho there is some cosmetic work to do on the sides at a later date by filling & covering the bare areas on the ends as well as some lighting inside the case.

Now for the 2nd one which is in working progress, I decided to put it on a long furniture leg & fix it to the wall at the top with a mounting L bracket.

Still got to sort out shelves (possibly glass) but looks OK & could do with some lighting in it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment