Sunday 7 October 2012

IKEA Hack #3 RAST Shelves


This is my 3rd  IKEA hack which is a very simple one to do.

Due to fitting new flooring, I couldn't have the existing RAST drawers beside the bed due to the quadrant trim over the laminate flooring. So had to find an alternative solution.

Flooring laid w/o trimming & drawers fit, but only just.
So I went for RAST shelves as they fit nicely beside the bed.


But I found them too low for the bed. Was just a nightmare to reach down for my cuppa, bedtime reading, etc.


So I decided like my BERTBY hack I would hang them on the wall with FAKTUM Brackets.

 

But the bottom shelf was too high for the plugs & didn't look right with legs hanging like they are, so decided to lower the bottom shelf to mirror the top shelf.

I started by putting the leg planks together & rotate one round so holes of this leg plank are opposite to the other leg plank, then used a drill to carefully drill through the holes into the other plank to make a set of matching holes.


This did mean I had extra holes not required now & didn't want them visible, so I carefully filled & sanded them flush to the wood.


Next was to drill a larger hole on 1 side of each set of shelves to feed wiring from plugs for lamps, chargers, etc then painted all the wood to cover my filling & protect the wood.


Once paint had dried, it was a case of building the 2 set of shelves & hang them to the wall on either side of the bed.


As you can see by next pic, the wiring feeds through & lamp switches are stuck in place with those no-damage adhesive pads.


I was very pleased with the results & feel the shelves really go with the decor & make the room look bigger because you can see the floor..


No comments:

Post a Comment