Sunday, 15 July 2012


This is my 2nd IKEA hack, I came across 2 BERTBY Cabinets dumped by the bin sheds & was just starting to rain. So I thought I save them as were in good condition, but not for long with the rain.

Unfortunately it had no fixtures or shelves, so had to think up another way to use them.

So I thought for the 1st BERTBY, why not fix to the wall? Just need the mounting brackets like those used to mount FAKTUM wall Cabinets. So I went to my local IKEA & asked for some & they were happy to help. So off I went to start this plan.

First I had to mark out where the brackets go & drill holes carefully so not make a mistake as some holes were of a set depth.  I used 4 brackets due to the length of the unit.

So once brackets are fitted to unit, it was a case of marking holes on wall to fix it to the wall. This was fun to do on my own & recommend 2 people to do this, but I managed w/o incident. lol

Looks OK when hung & despite the low height it doesn't stick out much to bang head on.

Looks pretty cool when filled too, tho there is some cosmetic work to do on the sides at a later date by filling & covering the bare areas on the ends as well as some lighting inside the case.

Now for the 2nd one which is in working progress, I decided to put it on a long furniture leg & fix it to the wall at the top with a mounting L bracket.

Still got to sort out shelves (possibly glass) but looks OK & could do with some lighting in it too.

Saturday, 14 July 2012

IKEA Hack #1 Slim BESTA Entertainment Unit

I had submitted this on a site among other ones, but only this one was published in December 2011. So I am going to build up the hacks I've done on my site so even if not submitted, they are here to be seen.

BESTA, INREDA Pull-out frame, INREDA Shelf insert, SNUDDA, Hole borer drill bit

Main objective was to minimise space of all my entertainment equipment. In previous flat I had metal brackets with cut to size shelves to hold all equipment above TV which worked well on the solid wall.But in new smaller flat, its hollow plasterboard walls & doubtful it could hold all the equipment, so had to be free-standing & I decided to use a Besta Wood effect tall unit. 

I measures the levels where the shelves were to go to give breathing room to equipment, done w/o TV at 1st as was planning more units to hang on wall over TV. I then measure evenly the holes to drill out & big enough to feed a plug through. Then it was a case of fitting the equipment in & wire it all up & put in its place. 

Few months later I found out this wood effect style had been discontinued & couldn't get any more Besta's to match, I decided to put TV inside the unit on a pull out drawer & have it swivel so I can watch TV from the PC desk. I used a plank of wood to sit TV on, the bearing mechanism of a SNUDDA lazy susan to swivel the TV. All bolted/screwed onto the INREDA Shelf insert sitting in the INREDA Pull-out frame. 

The remaining space is for boxes of knick-knacks using PAPPIS cardboard boxes, which 2 fits lovely on each shelf & I was able to fit 4 with room for power supply at the bottom for all the equipment. 

Tho it took a few months to get all of it together, it actually was 2 days work & look great next to the other Besta I was able to get & use as a display cabinet. next stage it to back light the units & then it will all be finished.

(I have moved since this blog & remodelled the design. The updated blog can be found here: